[Koha] RE: [Yazlist] Problems with YAZ > 2.1.8 on OpenBSD

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Nov 8 23:25:15 NZDT 2006

Mike Dalgity writes:
 > I have no idea if this is a YAZ problem, something with the perl
 > modules or something I'm (not) doing.  I'm not a Koha developer;
 > I'm just a user trying to work out the kinks on OpenBSD.  The
 > reason I'm posting on this list is because it seems to be directly
 > related to the Yaz version installed.

Right.  I don't see how it can possibly be to do with different YAZ
versions, but what I see is that there's a problem with "require ZOOM"
but not with "require Net::Z3950".  Could it be that this is the
variable factor, and that you misread it because ZOOM needs a more
recent YAZ version?

Anyway,  On my system (Ubuntu GNU/Linux 6.06, running stock kernel
2.6.15-27-386 and stock Perl 5.8.7) I don't see the problem that you
do with losing the ability to type on stdin.  So that's not good.
But what I do see, if I comment out your "require Net::Z3950" line and
uncomment the "require ZOOM" line, is this:

	$ perl /tmp/x.pl
	Type something: foo
	You typed foo
	Too late to run INIT block at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.7/ZOOM.pm line 37, <STDIN> line 1.
	Type something if you can: bar
	You typed bar
	$

My best guess (not a very good one, I'm afraid) is that the
combination of BSD kernel and Perl on your box somehow stuffs up after
seeing this "Too late to run INIT block" error.

But none of that really corresponds with your most mystifying test run:

 > NOT OK -- OpenBSD 4.0 (fresh install), Yaz 2.1.38, Net::Z3950 0.51, Event
 > 1.08
 > # perl test.pl
 > Type something: test1
 > You typed test1
 > Type something if you can: Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
 > test.pl line 15, <STDIN> line 1.
 > Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at test.pl line
 > 16, <STDIN> line 1.
 > You typed

And specifically:

>     OK -- OpenBSD 4.0, Yaz 2.1.8,  Net::Z3950 0.51, Event 1.08
> NOT OK -- OpenBSD 4.0, Yaz 2.1.38, Net::Z3950 0.51, Event 1.08

That's too weird.  I have to agree with you that the evidence suggests
that it really is the YAZ version that's causing the problems.  But
only on OpenBSD (or at least, not on Ubuntu).

 > The following warnings appear during ./configure:
 >
 > checking for libXML2... Not found
 > configure: WARNING: libxml2 development libraries not found.
 > configure: WARNING: There will be no support for SRU.
 > checking for libXSLT... Not found
 > configure: WARNING: libXSLT development libraries not found.
 > checking for libEXSLT... Not found
 > configure: WARNING: libEXSLT not enabled. pkg-config not found.
 > checking for xsltSaveResultToString... no
 >
 > I have no idea if they have any relevance or not.

No, this shouldn't be a problem (at least, not the _same_ problem :-)

I am really not sure where to go with this.  Anyone?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Good luck, everyone" -- Bob the Angry Flower after the WTC
	 disaster.  See http://angryflower.com/septem.gif