[Koha] RE: [Yazlist] Problems with YAZ > 2.1.8 on OpenBSD

Mike Dalgity dalgity at htl.net
Wed Nov 8 16:43:37 NZDT 2006

Hi Mike,

I have no idea if this is a YAZ problem, something with the perl modules or
something I'm (not) doing.  I'm not a Koha developer; I'm just a user trying
to work out the kinks on OpenBSD.  The reason I'm posting on this list is
because it seems to be directly related to the Yaz version installed.  I've
written a perl program (my first!) that demonstrates that after checking for
a Yaz dependent perl module that input from <STDIN> no longer works.  As I
stated before, I only seem to have this problem with Yaz versions newer than
2.1.8.  I have seen this issue with Yaz versions 2.1.10, 2.1.18, 2.1.24, and
2.1.38.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

print "Type something: ";
my $response = <STDIN>;
chomp $response;
print "You typed $response\n";

#here's the line that breaks it
unless (eval {require Net::Z3950})   { print "missing Net::Z3950\n" };
#unless (eval {require ZOOM})   { print "missing ZOOM\n" };

print "Type something if you can: ";
$response = <STDIN>;
chomp $response;
print "You typed $response\n";

*** Checking for Net::Z3950 ***

OK -- OpenBSD 4.0 (fresh install, no Net::Z3950)
# perl test.pl
Type something: test1
You typed test1
missing Net::Z3950
Type something if you can: test2
You typed test2
#

OK -- OpenBSD 4.0, Yaz 2.1.8, Net::Z3950 0.51, Event 1.08
# perl test.pl
Type something: test1
You typed test1
Type something if you can: test2
You typed test2
#

NOT OK -- OpenBSD 4.0 (fresh install), Yaz 2.1.38, Net::Z3950 0.51, Event
1.08
# perl test.pl
Type something: test1
You typed test1
Type something if you can: Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
test.pl line 15, <STDIN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at test.pl line
16, <STDIN> line 1.
You typed
#

*** Checking for ZOOM ***

OK -- OpenBSD 4.0, Yaz 2.1.38, (no ZOOM)
# perl test.pl
Type something: test1
You typed test1
missing ZOOM
Type something if you can: test2
You typed test2
#

NOT OK -- OpenBSD 4.0, Yaz 2.1.38, ZOOM 1.13, Marc::Record 1.38
# perl test.pl
Type something: test1
You typed test1
Too late to run INIT block at
/usr/local/libdata/perl5/site_perl/i386-openbsd/ZOOM.pm line 37, <STDIN>
line 1.
Type something if you can: Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
test.pl line 15, <STDIN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at test.pl line
16, <STDIN> line 1.
You typed
#

The following warnings appear during ./configure:

checking for libXML2... Not found
configure: WARNING: libxml2 development libraries not found.
configure: WARNING: There will be no support for SRU.
checking for libXSLT... Not found
configure: WARNING: libXSLT development libraries not found.
checking for libEXSLT... Not found
configure: WARNING: libEXSLT not enabled. pkg-config not found.
checking for xsltSaveResultToString... no

I have no idea if they have any relevance or not.

Thanks,
Mike D.