[Koha] Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Sat Jun 10 01:51:36 NZST 2006

Salve!

>In fact, it's just as well, since from the developer's point of view,
>we wouldn't want to accept a grant that couldn't benefit the whole
>community, rather than just one company or person.

Um, that seems to be a large part of the spirit of this grant. They are
looking for collaboration between non profits (say The Horowhenua
Library Trust, The Nelsonville Public Library) and open source projects
(Koha). The grant is not meant to go to a given library or non profit -
it's meant to be invested into the open source software that
organisation is utilising. See:

"Following Trustee approval of the Award Committee's decision in
mid-September, recipients will be asked to submit plans, developed in
collaboration with the organization's leadership, for the use of the
award to further the organization's engagement with open source
development. It is expected that these plans will involve a one to
two-year time horizon and include provisions for a follow-up report to
the Program in Research in Information Technology."

I just don't see why this would be so much different from how Koha
started - luckily for us HLT and Katipo got together to make things
happen. I would think that anyone who has invested in the project - like
HLT and NPL (I'm sure there are others) would be a dead ringer for
getting this grant. I also don't see how $25k or $100k reinvested in
Koha could be bad for the other members of the community. I'd also argue
that the world wide impact of Koha would really make it a strong
contender for the $100k grant.

The only wrench it would throw in the works would be that if someone
ended up with the grant, they'd have to sort out the tax paperwork.
Which is not all that big of a deal in the large scheme of things.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA