[Koha] 1-800-Koha

Michael Lake Mike.Lake at uts.edu.au
Mon May 23 15:18:21 NZST 2005

Karl Agee wrote:
> I'm running into resistance in getting my church to
> even consider Koha.  A main issue is support.  They
> want a toll-free number they can call with questions.
> I guess they want free support, too.
> They arent very computer litterate, can barely use
> Windows.
>
> I dont know what to tell them at this point.  Any
> ideas?

If an organisation isn't keen on an idea then it's probably not a good
idea to implement it untill they are keen. If you think that Koha would
be the best option for them work at convincing them first. Install one
on your own PC, load some data into it that is relevant to them, and
demonstrate it to them. Show them how it will work. Explain how support
might work. Explain clearly how much support you will provide to them
yourself and what the limits to that support is.

I don't know your organisation but I'm involved in 3 volunteer orgs.
I'm implementing one open source database project for a caving
organisation and Koha for the Royal Society of NSWS. I demoed Koha to
them last October as well as getting quotes from commercial library
systems. The Librarian (being left wing and pro 'sharing knowledge')
liked Koha. I made a detailed proposal which included spending some $ on
the server, training and customisation. We compromised and we have now
just got a Linux virtual server and I'll be installing Koha on it. We'
have agreed to look at customisation if we need it later on in the year.

The important thing though is that I have their support for it. if you
don't have that from your organisation I think you will just run into
problem after problem. They will expect you to fix anything and blame
you if things go wrong. I don't want to sound too negative but its more
fun for you if you have your orgs support in this.

Best wishes
Mike
--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If