[Koha] opac seach add-on

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Mon Nov 8 04:00:13 NZDT 2004

> You can not just add the isbn to the url. The amazon
> url contains the isbn but also contains a pointer to
> their database which changes depending on the isbn
> entered.

I would have thought you could just add the isbn to the url.
Can you give us an example of how that won't work?

> I'm guessing a script could be written to open amazon
> and tab down to their search box. Then apply the isbn
> from koha and simulate a cr or enter.

No, there's no way for this to work.  It's possible that there
are aspects to the Amazon API that would allow interaction
like you want, but there's no way to interact between Koha and
a search form on Amazon's web page.  That's all client-side
stuff, and you can't program it from the server side.

Amazon *does* seem to be the ideal we'd all like to be.  And
the core issue is details--reviews, synopses, cover images,
etc.  The proprietary systems that are being sold today really
emphasize this aspect by parterning with other information-
providers to get more detail into the OPAC.  Our cataloging
resources don't seem to be up to the job of getting enough
information into the hands of our patrons.

It's a tough issue, but one we'll have to face if we want to
move Koha into the mainstream.

  -- Owen