[Koha] Importing data into MARC

Baljkas Family baljkas at mts.net
Wed Sep 1 11:14:31 NZST 2004

Tuesday, August 31, 2004    17:48 CDT

Hi, Andres,

First off, kudos on what you were saying yesterday regarding salaries. I couldn't have agreed with you more.

As for your databases, I suppose the solution you would want would bring the copy specific information in the second database into the title specific records of the first.

Perhaps someone else on the listserv can suggest/help write a script that could merge the databases.

How many records are we talking about? And how many fields of information do you want/need preserved from the second database with the purchase info?

In terms of MARC coding solutions, would the 852 field suffice alone? The $z subfield is repeating.

There is also the 541 note which is repeating and could be incorporated to contain more copy-specific information with defined subfields. Check that out at URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdnot2.html#mrcb541>.

Take a look at the Holdings information at URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/echditem.html> ; this gives guidance on embedding holdings information, i.e. including an 876 note within each MARC record for an item.

You would be repeating the 852 field (and/or 541) for each different copy of the item within the item record and (keeping in mind that I've never had to do this but from my reading) you would be linking these to their corresponding 876 notes (which have enough fields available for fairly detailed acquisitions data) using the $8 to clarify which item was meant (I suppose the bar code would be the natural choice).

I hope this helps a bit. Let us know how things progress.

Cheers,

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte