[Koha] Extending Koha for Movies

Steve/Ollie/Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Fri May 7 11:49:43 NZST 2004

Thursday, May 6, 2004     18:38 CDT

Hi, Frank,

Just a quick response to your query on extending Koha for movies, etc.

> we would like to extend KOHA in order to add DVD's and VHS tapes to our
> library. We would need to enter some movie specific stuff that is present in
> KOHA's MARC structure (info about actors, in MARC field 511).

I'm not sure about your question. If you are using Koha 2.0.0, you would just need to define the fields in the MARC parameters and (IIRC, in the item types beforehand, for circulation management purposes, and) it should be accessible to you for data entry in cataloguing.

> Where would I want to start looking in order to allow this info to be entered in KOHA
> (acquisition dialogues).

If you're using MARC records you probably don't want to rely on searches using information that is only gathered (and haphazardly at that) in note fields like 511. Since title is going to be the main entry for 99+% of movies, is there a reason that doesn't work for your searches? Or are you really thinking about cataloguing and intending to created added entries for cast?

>  How would I handle repeatable fields in KOHA?

They should be fine.

> Thanks a lot in advance for any hints,

Hope this may help. Write back with further questions/specifics.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte