[Koha] Importing records into Koha

Roger Horne roger at hrothgar.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 23:24:28 NZST 2004

On Thu 22 Apr, Steven F. Baljkas wrote:

> But if you are right, Gregory, and Koha rejects items without ISBNs, what
> are we supposed to do when items really do not have them (i.e. pre-date
> ISBNs or just were never submitted to their publisher's national agency)? I
> suppose at worst one would have to make up fake ISBNs?!

2.20 certainly seems to accept items without isdns. I am not a librarian and
my knowledge of marc is virtually nil. As I have said I am starting
completely from scratch in putting data into Koha: we have no electronic
records of any sort.

Yesterday I entered into the "new biblio" page under title "A treatise on
Deeds", year 1906 and author Norton. The z3950 servers found me dozens of
records, none, so far as I could see, containing anything like Norton on
Deeds (a very well known legal text book), although there were so many that
I may have missed the relevant one, but when I changed the author to "Norton,
Robert", the LoC & the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies produced the
relevant result. That contains no ISDN but Koha seems quite happy with it.

(I hope to start further cataloguing next week using a Psion netBook and
WiFi. I suspect a large proportion of books will have no ISDNs).

Roger
--
Roger Horne
11 New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3QB, UK
roger at hrothgar.co.uk
http://www.hrothgar.co.uk/