[Koha] Koha translation to German

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 21 21:47:05 NZST 2004

On 2004-04-19 14:44:30 +0100 Christian Hennecke
<christian.hennecke at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> By sorting text pieces alphabetically in the output, they all are
> completely
> out of context. That makes translating them very hard, as many
> English words
> can have different equivalents in German.

I discussed this with a translator yesterday at a computer show.
Apparently, this is a common problem, but comments in the strings file
(usually .po?) tell you where the original string is found in the
program. Sometimes, the wrong translation is still made and you have
to just treat it like any other bug. Usually the wrong one is
nonsensical in context and easily noticed.

Does koha's strings file have references to the main code? If so, why
is German translation harder than any other?

> To make the tool useful, the output file format would have to be
> changed.
> Each template file should have kind of a section that lists the
> pieces of
> text as they are found in the file.

Wouldn't this make for a lot of files to work on?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at