[Koha] Possibility of setting up and then exporting MARC tag structure?

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Feb 20 21:20:18 NZDT 2004

Stephen Hedges wrote:

>baljkas at mts.net said:
>

>>Is the configuration of the MARC tag structure (what I'll call the MAP for
>>convenience sake) saved to any particular file in such a way that one
>>could do the set up at Point A and then export it to Point B? Or
>>alternatively, could it be remote accessed so that the work could be done
>>for Koha installation at Point B online from a Point A?
>>

>Couldn't you do that with the mysqldump command?  Something like:
>
>mysqldump --opt koha marc_subfield_structure > subfield_structure_backup.sql

stephen if right here. Except you must also dump marc_tag_structure.
Those 2 tables entirely define the MARC management in Koha.

> Would it be useful to the community to have a default MARC21 and/or UNIMARC MAP, one which would include all possible tags and
> subfields, set up, from which one could then just delete what one didn't need instead of trying to worry about adding everything that
> might possibly come up?  (BTW, if it were possible, I imagine it could be offered as part of the installation package in the near
> future, or at least off the Koha site, to facilitate and even encourage adoption of Koha.)

I'm not sure to understand this question. The default MARC21 is complete from a MARC21 point of view isn't it (even if I agree it mappings can be highly improved)

> **This is based on my understanding that Koha won't map MARC tags properly unless all encountered tags are mapped completely in the
> MARC tag structure admin.** If that is not in fact correct, please let me know as I don't think I'm alone in having made that
> interpretation, based on what's been said in the listserv and in documentation.
> I would be more than willing to take the time to create such a MAP for the Koha community, if it would be possible and desirable. I
> have the current IFLA and MARC21 reference materials and could invest the time starting this weekend.
That is correct if I understand here what you mean.
During the install, you have to choose between "MARC21-english" and "UNIMARC-french" MARC flavour.
If you send me working dumps of the 2 marc_*_structure, it's EASY to add new possibilities during installer.
Something like "UNIMARC-french for public library", "UNIMARC-french with SuDoc support", "UNIMARC-french with 995 support"...

--
Paul POULAIN