[Koha] Bar code scanners

Richard Stevenson richard at alternativeuniverse.net
Thu Jun 26 14:30:12 NZST 2003

Hi all

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Max Stam wrote:

> I have not yet used a scanner but as far as I've seen, they plug into
> the keyboard plug, and then the keyboard plug piggybacks into that.

Just to clarify, this type of scanner (I believe they're referred to as a
"keyboard wedge") is probably the easiest to use with Linux systems.  You
can get barcode scanners that connect via serial or USB ports (I'm not
sure about parallel port), and you may have to actually write a device
driver for them.  Safer to use the keyboard wedge type, they're just
plug-and-play.

Regards

Richard