[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 03:55:15 NZST 2003

Tim Bell <bhat at trinity.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> And regarding open source, there are many reasons why installation is
> often harder than for a similar commercial application. [...]

Please try to remember that some of us sell commercial free software.
Free as in freedom, not necessarily price.  Maybe you were talking about
software you get for free being harder than stuff you pay for, or maybe
you were talking about free software installation being harder than
proprietary software.  The first is probably true, but I think the second
is backwards.

[...]
>   3. Improve the install scripts to check for required Perl modules and
>      install them from CPAN if necessary.

We can probably do that, but CPAN messes up package systems, so it
couldn't be automatic.  The 1.9.x installer already prints the exact
commands that the sysadmin can use for CPAN.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."