[Koha] Dewey and Item Type

Albert P. Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 5 09:40:45 NZDT 2003

Hi Adam!
    The 082 MARC tag for Dewey is for the Call number assigned by the
Library of Congress or other official body. Usually now, you would use  852
subfield h to hold the Dewey Classification of the item in your collection.
(Use 852 sub i for Cutter or Author letters, and 852 sub k for Call Number
prefix like REF for Reference).

    I'm not sure where Koha is storing item types yet - it is likely in a
local field in the 900's. Someone should come up with an answer to that one.

Regards,
Al Calame

Management Consultant,
Librarian-at-Large,