[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Jan 16 22:40:39 NZDT 2003

Marco Gaiarin a écrit:

>I hope that koha will be, sooner or later, a full db-indipendent
>project, so i can use my favourite DBMS, Postgres, but at the same
>time, and with more strenght ;), the DB schema have to be rewritten to
>be fully normalized and relational.
>[could just be this, i've simple not seen FOREIGN KEY statement in .sql
>file, i don't want to flame ;) ]

i've bad news for you Marco...

we have decided recently to go ... to a deepest mySQL dependency.
mySQL has a feature that doesn't exist in ANSI-SQL92 : full-text indexing.
It's a VERY usefull feature to seach into a biblio : you search "sun
moon" and the db auto-search for title that could correspond. It's a
VERY complicated thing to do manually *and* with indexed search.
(see : http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html)

If you know an ACID & free db doing this, don't hesitate to tell us, it
would be a great news !
i worked with Interbase/Firebird 2 years ago, and don't remember such a
feature.

--
Paul POULAIN