[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu Jan 16 22:23:38 NZDT 2003

Mandi! Larry Currie
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Last night I attended a PerlMongers group meeting here in Oakland, CA
> and one of the presenters at the meeting asserted that MySQL could not
> claim to be a completely relational database because it doesn't let you
> define foreign keys.  As a result, he feels that MySQL fails the ACID
> test (atomicity, consistency, referential integrity, and durability),

This is true, MySQL is not a true ACID database engine, but if you look
inside the koha DB schema (koha.mysql, if i remember well) you see that
koha doesn't use at all referential integrity.
[mysql, apart from not beening ACID, have also a loose SQL parser that
eat a big part of SQL dialects, sometime doing nothing as if you use
the FOREIGN KEY statement ;]

I hope that koha will be, sooner or later, a full db-indipendent
project, so i can use my favourite DBMS, Postgres, but at the same
time, and with more strenght ;), the DB schema have to be rewritten to
be fully normalized and relational.
[could just be this, i've simple not seen FOREIGN KEY statement in .sql
file, i don't want to flame ;) ]

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

			  Difendiamo PeaceLink!
     Campagna di solidarietà per la tutela legale di una voce scomoda.
		   http://www.peacelink.it/emergenza/