[Koha] Windows

robweir at alum.drexel.edu robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Fri Dec 20 07:10:47 NZDT 2002

Hi John,
Depending on what you want to accomplish, Koha on Windows might be an option
for you. I spent a good bit of time a couple months ago getting Koha working
on a Windows system. At that time, everything had to be installed and
configured manually. Since I write windows install packages at the software
company where I work, I decided to use what I had learned and write a basic
install package for Koha on Windows. The results of that effort are
available at http://www.kohalabs.com/resources/Win32/. For support in
getting this working, there is a Koha Windows list that can be accessed via
koha-win32 at lists.sourceforge.net. You can view archives from that list or
subscribe to that list at http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=16466. I
monitor that list and will try to be of assistance if you need help with the
install process. I don't know that much yet about Koha features and bugs, so
once you have a working install, you'll have to look elsewhere for help. I
currently have Koha 1.2.2 running on W2000 and am in the process of
converting data from an old DOS system.

If you want to give it a try, I suggest you stick to the KohaW32_1.2.2A.zip
file that is posted at that site - it is the last stable release version.
The other two versions at that site are beta and are now outdated. I do plan
to post an updated install as soon as the next stable version is released.
You will still need to download and install apache, mysql, and perl as
seperate installs but you need to do the same on a Linux box. The
KohaW32_1.2.2A..zip file includes two documents, one of which has links to
the exact windows versions of apache, mysql, and perl which I used for my
testing. I think this approach has been tested successfully on Windows 98,
ME, NT, and 2000 to date. Windows NT and 2000 have the advantage that MySQL
and Apache can run as services, so you might consider an upgrade to 2000.
There have been a few problems with the test installs, but most weren't hard
to resolve. If you take time to read and follow the directions, you
shouldn't have any problems.

I am repying to you via the general Koha list. If you have any additional
questions specific to Koha on Windows, please use the koha-win32 list.

Rob