[Koha] backup the database

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Nov 22 21:04:30 NZDT 2002

Chris Cormack a écrit:

>On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:58:44AM -0800, Tonnesen Steve said:
>

>>On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>>>How do I make backups of koha's mysql database?  Specifically, what
>>>files do I need to make backups of?
>>>

>>In my installation the Koha database files are located in
>>   /var/lib/mysql/Koha/
>>Back up everything in that location.  There will be files named biblio.*,
>>biblioitems.*, items.*, issues.*, reserves.*, etc.
>>
>Another way to do a back up is by using
>mysqldump
>
>mysqldump -uusername -ppassword --add-drop-table Koha > kohabackup.mysql
>
>I run nightly ones of these and then gzip them up.
>What we also do for HLT is run mysql replication, so we have a master-slave
>relationship set up, so we are doing real time offsite backups.

It is STRONGLY NOT RECOMMENDED NOT to do what steve suggest, but to use
mysqldump instead. With new versions of mySQL, (or any other db), you've
absolutely NOT WARRANTY that the tables in file system contains the
"uptodate" data. With transactions coming in 4.x series of mySQL, you're
almost sure that 1 backup on 2 will be unuseable.

However, mysqldump IS the tool you must use.
Take a look at misc/backup.sh in koha
--
Paul