[Koha] backup the database

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri Nov 22 10:32:53 NZDT 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:58:44AM -0800, Tonnesen Steve said:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Jim Thomas wrote:
>
> > How do I make backups of koha's mysql database?  Specifically, what
> > files do I need to make backups of?
>
> In my installation the Koha database files are located in
>
>    /var/lib/mysql/Koha/
>
> Back up everything in that location.  There will be files named biblio.*,
> biblioitems.*, items.*, issues.*, reserves.*, etc.

Another way to do a back up is by using
mysqldump

mysqldump -uusername -ppassword --add-drop-table Koha > kohabackup.mysql

I run nightly ones of these and then gzip them up.
What we also do for HLT is run mysql replication, so we have a master-slave
relationship set up, so we are doing real time offsite backups.

All the tables are important, but in general the issues table is the most
important (this records all items out on issue). And is the table that would
be hardest to recreate if it was ever lost.

Hope this is helpful

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz