[Koha] File definitions and Process - Checked by Vexira DEMO version -

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Fri Aug 16 02:42:56 NZST 2002

Lauren,

When dealing with a file of MARC records there are some tools to find what
fields have been used. MarcEdit will let you know which fields are used and
how many times. You can also select a field and see what subfields are used
in your file. http://ucs.orst.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.html It is
free.

MARC RTP is also free and gives a more detailed report. It shows which
fields and subfields in those fields are used in your file. It also shows
the largest number of characters in each field.
http://marc.ise.canberra.edu.au/

It is a good idea to run these on your database every so often, even if not
moving it. It does show errors. For example, if 1 field 244 shows up and the
number of records with field 245 is less than the total then that 244 most
likely should be 245. Obsolete fields can be identified and either deleted
or moved to another field.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu