[Koha] Looking for small scale solution

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Wed Apr 24 16:31:53 NZST 2002

Hi

> 1. We need to be able to either run multiple instances, each with their own
> databases, or be able to use a single instance but in a manner that multiple
> collections can be managed by different people.

I don't see any particular problem with running more than one instance of
Koha on a machine (we do that with our dev and demo ones).  I'm assuming
by "managed by different people" you mean that they can only see/edit their
own collection?

I don't think anyone has Koha doing that at the moment, but Koha has the
concepts of collections and branches which should be of use to you?

 > 2. The collections in each case are small but their is a need to provide search
>  and circulation and patron management just as one would with a large
>  collection.

So would you want a central patron management scheme or multiple small
ones?  I'd have thought central would be useful so that you don't have to
keep multiple records (assuming a patron can belong to more than one
library).

> 3. Has anyone ported the database to PostgreSQL yet ? We don't use mySQL and I
> would rather not install a second dbms on our servers. If no one has, and Koha
> will fit in the environment, I am prepared to have a go at the database stuff
> for PostgreSQL.

We started Koha in Postgres and at that time it had issues which made
searching really slow.  I believe there isn't much MySQL (hopefully not any
but I can't say that for sure) specific stuff, so it should run on your SQL of
choice.

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org