[Koha] Library card numbers, branch entry

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Wed Apr 3 03:27:44 NZST 2002

The is a kind of de facto standard for public library patron numbers.

The 1st number is a 2 (3 is used for collection materials)
The next 4 numbers are the library number. There were once assigned by
Bowker (if I remember right) but they stopped that years ago.
The next 8 numbers are the patron number.
The last digit is the check digit.

So the number 2999900000001X means this is a patron (2) in the library whose
code is 9999 and is the 1st patron. The check digit system does not use X
like they do in ISSN and ISBN, I only used it as a place holder.

But, then there are many libraries who do not use this system, so any system
needs to be able to handle other formats. Many school libraries seem to use
the student ID number for instance.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu