[Koha] i18n of .pl scripts

Stuart A Yeates say1 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Fri Sep 8 21:51:29 NZST 2000

> It should be quite easy to get Koha supporting many dialects once you've
> finished, Koha in Klingon anyone?
>
> Let me know if this doesn't make any sense to you.

This does, indeed make sense. However, there are limitations of the approach
you suggest.

*) images presented in the UI are social constructs, for example visual
representations of people are strongly loaded in Maori culture (C.F. the
Goldie exhibition at Te Papa). So the images need to be internationalised too.

*) appropriate colour schemes for presentation on the web is culturally
dependent (I can look up references for this if you like).

*) the structure of the presentation of information in the interface may be
culturally dependent (browse some Chinese or Asian language library sites and
you'll notice that the structure and layout is different).

The way we solved these problems in greenstone is to define the ENTIRE UI in
terms of macros which can then be overridden on a collection or locale basis.

stuart

--    stuart yeates <s.yeates at cs.waikato.ac.nz> aka `loam'
any problem in the world can be solved by dancing.  -- james brown
X-no-archive:yes