[Koha] Removal of patron data obtained via LDAP

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Tue Jul 23 20:32:09 NZST 2024

Hi

We are using Koha 24.05 and are intending to use a LDAP server to fetch
the patron data for Koha. During the patron login process Koha will
fetch the patron data or update them. So far so good.

But what happens if a patron is no more existing on the LDAP server and
does not log into Koha anymore? As we understand the once fetched data
will just stay in the Koha database (in tables "borrowers" or
"deletedborrowers") forever which conflicts with requirements of privacy.

We imagine we could regularly compare patron data on the LDAP server
with the patron data in Koha (using SQL reports); or we could just
regulary and manually delete Koha patrons that expired in a given period
and don't have no loans etc. anymore (e. g. using the batch patron
deletion tool); but such a manual process seems cumbersome and
error-prone. Script "cleanup_database.pl" does not cover patrons.

Thus the question: Is there maybe a best practice how to get rid of
patron data in Koha that do not exist on the LDAP server anymore?

Best wishes: Michael