[Koha] Translations not updating and causing problems

Aleisha Amohia aleisha at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Nov 16 12:00:08 NZDT 2022

Hi Koha Community

We've noticed a recurring problem across a bunch of our Koha libraries
in the last couple of months. When a new Koha package is installed, for
example a minor point upgrade, sometimes our additional translations
break in a weird way.

Many of our libraries have en-NZ (English New Zealand) and mi-NZ (Māori)
installed, as well as the default en (English) obviously. They'll
typically have en-NZ selected as the default language for their OPAC and
staff interface.

We'll notice the translated templates are broken because we'll search
for a system preference like OPACUserJS or OPACUserCSS and it can't be
found in the system preferences. This breaks other displays or features
across Koha because it can't seem to access system preferences in the
translated templates.

Usually the fix is some annoying process like:

 1. Uninstall all languages
 2. Restart services
 3. Install chosen languages again
 4. Restart services
 5. Update languages
 6. Restart services

Then our system preferences will show again.

Is there something that we're missing in our deploy process or something
we need to do to fix this? Translations should auto-update whenever the
package is installed so I'm not sure why this is happening and would
really appreciate some advice.

--
*Aleisha Amohia (she/her)*
Koha Technical Lead

*Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group company*
Tel: +64 4 499 2267 | www.catalyst.net.nz <http://www.catalyst.net.nz>

Catalyst Logo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended for the named recipients
only. It may contain privileged, confidential or copyright information.
If you are not the named recipient, any use, reliance upon, disclosure
or copying of this email or its attachments is unauthorised. If you have
received this email in error, please reply via email or call +64 4 499 2267.