[Koha] Cataloging question - Electronic resource with no link (MARC21)

Hernandez, Heather H Heather_Hernandez at nps.gov
Thu May 19 03:44:06 NZST 2022

Hi, Caroline!

Others know far more than me, but I like answering because I hope those who know more will correct me so I can learn!

In the 856, $3 is more properly "Part of the described material to which the field applies," but it is often used for more than that because systems usually display it, e.g. in this example in the MARC21 format:
856 40 $3HathiTrust Digital Library, Full view$uhttp://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/1654047.html$70

You are correct that the $u is not mandatory--many resources do not have a URL or URI.  (IIRC, $u dates to the creation of the 856 field, but it has been redefined over the years.)  If the resources do not have a $u, and are not opened via http on that local computer, you are correct that it is more properly coded as:
856 70 $3 Local periodical computer $2 1
But IMO it should still be hyperlinked because it is actionable on that particular computer--maybe it is better to describe it in a way that is obvious to everyone, e.g. if it were at my local library, it would be something like this--and I would put in a $z with information on obtaining access if there is no $u:
856 70 $3 Berkeley Public Library North Branch local periodical computer only $z Ask librarian for access $2 1

I agree with you about which subfields should be hyperlinked (i.e., "clickable," or "tap-able"), and that $z should not be hyperlinked--it is a note that should be displayed, but not hyperlinked.

It isn't really a fringe case that the electronic resource may not be freely available--as resources become available only to licenses users, it is more common that only certain groups of users have access, and one way to limit access is via network permissions to access particular drives.  Limiting access to a particular, standalone computer is kind of old school, IMO, but effective!

If you do file a bug about hyperlinking in the 856 field, would it be good to check that Koha is correctly hyperlinking $u field in the other fields where it is valid?  (The guidelines at Guidelines for the Use of Field 856 (loc.gov)<https://www.loc.gov/marc/856guide.html> have a list.)

Also, it's been my experience that when I library starts out cataloging, it is common to think, "Oh, these resources are just local--we only need records for those people in the building," like, for example, for the articles just on a local periodical computer.  But over time the records get shared--maybe just at first showing what resources they do have electronically to those who come into the building.  Then over time there are ways to network and control access...to share...etc.  So I always try to "catalog local but think global"--apply the standards as much as possible, but describe things in a way that would reduce the amount of global/batch edits later.  So if these records have a $3 of "Local periodical computer," I'd advise putting a lot of information into the $z about just which library in the world has this local periodical computer and how to find out about access, and one can put a lot in this field.  You might also find a 561 note useful, "Ownership and custodial history," e.g.:
561 1_ $a Periodical article digitized by the Clearwater Public Library staff (Clearwater, California, USA) with the permission of the copyright owner for in-library access via standalone computer only, contact reference staff for more information $u http://[put here the URL for the website to contact the reference staff for more information] $5 [Institution code for this fictional library]

Cheerio!
h2

Ms. Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
Library catalog:  https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032 (office generally M-W, telecommuting Th-F)
heather_hernandez at nps.gov<https://webmail.lmi.net/src/compose.php?send_to=heather_hernandez%40nps.gov>