[Koha] Cataloging question - Electronic resource with no link (MARC21)

Hernandez, Heather H Heather_Hernandez at nps.gov
Wed May 18 09:16:39 NZST 2022

Hi, Caroline--

It's the way that it's supposed to work--if you look at this record on WorldCat.org:
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/51900244
You'll see a link that says, "Flint Campus only," etc.--all the links have text indicating authorized users only (text that's been put into the 856 $z).

It's supposed to work like that because many places have electronic resources that are available only to authorized users of particular networks.  It dates back to when some resources would even be on CDRoms mounted on particular computers/drives that only authorized users could access.

For the resource you're describing, if it were my library, I'd do something like:
856 40 $3 Research Center access $u http://...  $z Requires staff login

They might want, e.g.:
856 40 $3 Local periodical computer
856 40 $3 In-library access only

You can use only the $3 if you want, too--we only use that field, and it will display in place of "Click here to access," e.g.:
Details for: A dream of seven decades San Francisco's Aquatic Park / › SF Maritime NHP Research Center catalog (bywatersolutions.com)<https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=35047>

I try to always put something into the $3, because "Click here to access" is antiquated, when so many users are tapping on their phones, and in the situation like you describe where not everyone is authorized to access.

Cheerio!
--h2

Ms. Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
Library catalog:  https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032 (office generally M-W, telecommuting Th-F)
heather_hernandez at nps.gov
<https://webmail.lmi.net/src/compose.php?send_to=heather_hernandez%40nps.gov>