[Koha] Koha pluging for linking fields and RDA -76X-78X fields

Hernandez, Heather H Heather_Hernandez at nps.gov
Wed Jun 15 05:36:23 NZST 2022

Hi, Mercedes!

Great news about the plugin!

Several of the records in the list of RDA records that I mentioned in my previous email have 78X linking fields (e.g., between hardcopy and online versions).  The 78X fields have long been used between related serials/periodicals, also.  In case you haven't seen them, there are excellent examples in the MARC Bibliographic Formats, MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data: Table of Contents (Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress) (loc.gov)<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/>

Helpful as well is OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards (useful examples even for non-OCLC libraries, I think!), especially under "Special Cataloging Guidelines": Bibliographic Formats and Standards (oclc.org)<https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en.html>

How we link is putting the appropriate 78X field in the bibliographic record, with the record number of the target record in the $w field (we use OCLC numbers) that when selected/clicked/tapped, executes a search on the target record's 001 field (where the OCLC number is stored).  Maybe I'm not understanding your question or explaining it well?  Do please let me know!

Cheerio!
h2

Ms. Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
Library catalog:  https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032 (office generally M-W, telecommuting Th-F)
heather_hernandez at nps.gov<https://webmail.lmi.net/src/compose.php?send_to=heather_hernandez%40nps.gov>