[Koha] Does Koha support barcode scanners and more questions?

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Fri Jun 3 02:25:51 NZST 2022

Koha needs a linux-based server. For a very small library with a single
circulation desk and limited web presence, you could certainly install
Ubuntu Desktop at the circulation desk, setup the Koha installation there,
and use Chrome on the same machine. Typically, though, you want a dedicated
server somewhere.

A barcode scanner is just a fancy keyboard. Really. You scan a code, and it
"types" what it scanned into whatever textbox has the focus. Any software
system that supports keyboards supports barcode scanners.

Not exactly sure what you're asking here. We've used an iPad to do
inventory, but never to scan barcodes. Rather than a camera, we pair a
bluetooth barcode reader to the iPad. The scanners can be had from Amazon
for about $40.

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
York College of Nebraska