[Koha] CJK Coding and dollar1

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:27:59 NZDT 2022

Hello, Katrin et al!

    In our latest exchange, on 23 Jan. 2022 at 11:41 [JST], I received from
you this:

it's actually neither, but I had to do a little research first:

> https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdcntf.html
>
> "In a Unicode environment, script identification codes may instead be
> taken from ISO 15924 <http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/> "Codes for the
> representation of names of scripts". Either the alphabetic values
> (consisting of four letters) or the numerical values (consisting of three
> digits) may be used."
>
> As Koha is a Unicode environment, you should use the ISO 15924 codes
> instead of $1. The advantage is that this will also allow to differentiate
> between Chinese, Japanese and Korean as different language codes are used
> for those.

    What I learned about "[dollar]1" or "{dollar}1" must have been an older
standard that is still maintained for compatibility with legacy systems. It
doesn't help matters that L.C. records I look at in MARC format have the
"{dollar}1" notation because it uses the "$" to denote subfields when
looking at the cataloging rendition.

    Thanks! It does allow us to distinguish Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
from one another; and Russian, Ukrainian, Macedonian, etc. from one
another. The 041 language codes field will help us to isolate the CJK
records based on language and change the codes accordingly but that's a
long-term project for the future.

> And I am pretty sure this will work with how Koha's 880 display code is
> built, because I've been working with records using the ISO codes.

    I have to admit in the few records in which we have forgotten the
script identification code, the browser still displays CJK, Cyrillic, etc.
on both Mac OS, current Win OS, and Linux systems I have tested our records
on. I also read that the 066 field is not needed in ISO-compliant records.
(Yea!)

> Hope this helps,

    Thanks. It certainly does.

     In an earlier exchange, on 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:43 [JST], I wrote:

    In our latest exchange, on 20 Jan. 2022 at 8:01 [JST], I received
this from you:

can you explain a little more what you are trying to do? What is the
> dollar syntax to be used for?

      Is the coding for CJK characters represented by “[dollar]1” or
> “{dollar}1”?

I can’t find documentationone way or the other, but I know it’s one of them
> in Koha.

    At least half of my library's collection consists of works in a
non-Roman
writing system. According to the MARC tag coding standards at both the
Library
of Congress and OCLC, non-Roman fields are supposed to be paired with
Roman-transcribed fields. Here are two examples, one in Russian and
the other in Japanese.

245 1 0 $6 880-45 $a Politika, ekonomika, pravo : $b russko-angliiskii
slovar' : 40 000 slov i slovosochetanii = Politics, economics, law :
Russian-English dictionary / $c S. I. Svetlanin.
880 1 0 $6 245-45/(N $a Политика, экономика, право : $b русско-английский
словарь : 40 000 слов и словосочетаний = Politics, economics, law :
Russian-English dictionary / $c С. И. Светланин.

245 1 0 $6 880-45$aNitchu sensou :$b senmetsusen kara shomosen e / $c
Kobayashi Hideo.
880 1 0 $6 245-45/[dollar]1 $a 日中戦争:$b 殲滅戦から消耗戦へ / $c 小林秀夫.

    The MARC 880 standard specifies a $6 in the following format.

$6 [linking tag]-[occurrence number]/[script identification code]/[field
orientation code]

    The script identification code for the Cyrillic alphabet is "(N", but
for CJK, it's "$1". Koha seems not to like "$1" in $6 because the dollar
sign indicates a beginning of the next subfield. I read or heard that
instead of "$1", "[dollar]1" is used, and that is what I use. I now see in
our catalog some records with "{dollar}1". So, we have records with both
"[dollar]1" but others with "{dollar}1". Now I'm confused.

    So, which one is it, "[dollar]1" or "{dollar}1"? I ask before I do a
mass-update (through MarcEdit) and fix the wrong set, I'd like to know. I
ask here because I have not been able to find documentation on either the
Koha Community website or elsewhere online.

    So thanks to everyone for tis help.

    P.S. Sorry for the extra spaces about the subfields. It helps me with
reading.

    P.P.S. The [field orientation code] seems not to be required but the
[script identification code] is.

--

    よろしくお願いします。

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.