[Koha] Very, very beginner question: Sample MARC record

Bruce Yelen byelen at bouldermasons.org
Sat Apr 30 09:37:17 NZST 2022

Another thing you may find helpful when cataloging is to click on "New from Z39.50 Server".  Koha gives the ability to search other libraries that support this protocol.  You have to set up the libraries to be searched by going into "administration", then clicking "Z39.50/SRU servers.  Each library has their own settings.  As an example, The Library of Congress uses hostname lx2.loc.gov , port 210, database LCDB, with USMARC as the syntax.  Yale Univeristy is z3950.library.yale.edu port 7090, database voyager, USMARC, the Bodleian (Oxford) is library.ox.ac.uk port 210 database aleph, usmarc.  Finally, the British Library uses z3950cat..bl.uk, port 9909 and database ZBLACU.  You'll have to request that the British Library give you a userid and password (took about a week or so in my case.

The advantage to this method is that if the title you're cataloging is in their collection, you can import it directly and not have to type everything into your system manually.  I was able to find "The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox" in the Yale University collection.  Here's what they returned in MARC format:

LDR 02598cam a2200409 a 4500
001     16001762
005     20211005173305.0
008     890511t19901984caua     b    001 0 eng
010    _a   89090759
020    _a096225360X
020    _a9780962253607
029 1  _aAU@
       _b000041191447
029 1  _aYDXCP
       _b1467647
035    _a(OCoLC)ocm19779482
035    _a(OCoLC)19779482
035    _a16001762
040    _aDLC
       _beng
       _cDLC
       _dBAKER
       _dBTCTA
       _dYDXCP
       _dOCLCG
       _dOCLCO
       _dOCLCQ
       _dDTM
       _dOCLCF
       _dOCL
       _dOCLCO
049    _aYUSS
050 00 _aBX360.A5
       _bM53 1990
079    _a19779482
082 00 _a242/.8019
       _220
245 04 _aThe Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox :
       _bdaily scripture readings and commentary for Orthodox Christians /
       _ccompiled and edited by Johanna Manley ; with a foreword by Bishop Kallistos of Diokleia.
260    _aMenlo Park, Calif. :
       _bMonastery Books,
       _c1990.
300    _aiv, 1,126 pages :
       _billustrations ;
       _c24 cm
336    _atext
       _btxt
       _2rdacontent
337    _aunmediated
       _bn
       _2rdamedia
338    _avolume
       _bnc
       _2rdacarrier
504    _aIncludes bibliographical references (pages 1121-1126) and index.
520    _aCycle of daily Gospel and Epistle readings based on the movable calendar, which starts with Easter (Pascha), includes the fifty days after the Resurrection, Pentecost and the 37 weeks that followed, the Week of the Publican and the Pharisee, followed by the Triodion, which begins 10 weeks before Easter, and includes the Preparation for Lent, Graet Lent and Holy Week. This work is particularly addressed to those who set aside an hour daily for prayer and meditation. Appendices are added for Sunday matins, major fixed feasts such as Nativity, Theophany and other Feast days of Martyrsm saints. But since this volume is not arranged according to the fixed calendar which lists all the saints and fixed feasts for each day of the month, a suitable companion would be a Menaion, which provides a fuller treatment of the major feast days, and the flow of church seasons.
610 20 _aOrthodox Eastern Church
       _vPrayers and devotions.
610 27 _aOrthodox Eastern Church.
       _2fast