[Koha] Install Koha on AlmaLinux 8

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Apr 19 11:54:22 NZST 2022

It's certainly possible to install Koha on AlmaLinux, but it will probably be a challenging experience, as the main community supported installation is using Debian packages on Debian/Ubuntu.

In the past, I used to run a customized version of Koha on OpenSUSE using RPM packages. That made code deployments much easier. My spec file wouldn't be directly usable, but I could provide some advice, if you went down that route.

For Perl dependencies, as Tomas says, you'd want to use the cpanfile. (https://metacpan.org/dist/Module-CPANfile/view/lib/cpanfile.pod and https://metacpan.org/pod/cpanm).

Docker could be an option, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you're already familiar with using Docker.

Your main challenges with AlmaLinux would probably be installing the Perl dependencies, configuring Apache, setting up cronjobs, and setting up services (Zebra indexer, Zebra search server, Plack application server). You get all of that for free with the Debian packages, but have to do it manually with other installation methods.

David Cook
Senior Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems
Suite 7.03