[Koha] Handling Fines in the ILS and Relate Matters

James L Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 03:21:57 NZDT 2021

When I used to have to deal with circulation at a small, undergraduate
institution, circulation was one of the parts of the job that irked me the
most. The college administration didn't want much library interaction with
the general population so almost everything had to go through them (except
recalls) and the result was that little was accomplished. There was
supposed to be a system of fines but those were never collected. All that
was enforced was at the end of the year when students had to bring back
whatever library materials they had or pay for them. If they didn't they
wouldn't be allowed to graduate. I was thankful I didn't have to deal with
any of that.

Concerning faculty, many of them considered the library's books as their
own personal property and would "check them out" for years. None of that
worried me much unless someone actually asked for the book and it was
checked out. Students would normally bring the materials back fairly
quickly when asked, but much of the faculty simply ignored us.

That was one reason I was so much for digital materials: circulation
becomes irrelevant.

I don't know if that helps but you do have my sympathy!

James Weinheimer