[Koha] Handling Fines in the ILS and Relate Matters

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:09:33 NZDT 2021

Hi, all!

    There has been a lot of movement towards abolishing late fees and
fines. I don't ask why here, for I understand the reasons. My question is
more of a mechanical one.

    You see, the library at the beginning of my career did charge fines,
but when a patron protested the fine and had a legitimate or legal
argument, it was either reduced or voided. A few years later, the FBI
showed up and demanded records of several patrons; and that was that.
Circulation records were kept only when fines were imposed; and then the
fines were transferred to the institutional billing office.

    The other libraries I have worked in didn't keep circulation (and fine)
records, so it it was not an issue to them. And I am working what is likely
my last job for I will probably retire in two years or so.

    But I have to ask out of curiosity: how are fine records kept in the
library? Are they transferred to the billing office or are they kept
inhouse? How is an appeal handled? Who handles the appeals, the library or
the institutional billing office? Where are the records kept? Is the ILS
involved after the initial circulation and subsequent fine calculation?

    As I wrote above, this is just a curiosity to me. But I read a lot
about fine cancellation but I recall very little about the mechanics and
the related policies.

    Thanks, all.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.