[Koha] Upgrade OS - Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04

Alvaro Cornejo cornejo.alvaro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 11:25:51 NZST 2021

Hi Isabel,

We also use a VPS provider (Linode) for the koha hosting.

What we do when migrating to a major version is to create a new VPS,
install everything from scratch, move the DB from the old system to the new
one, do the DB conversion and test that everything goes as expected.

As is a second VPS, we can take all the time needed to testng all the
features we use. Once we are happy with results, we do a new DB migration
since the installation/test process can take a couple of weeks; by then,
the DB has certainly changed since.

Linode allows us to swap public IP addresses from one VPS to another. So
putting the new VPS in service is quite easy (basically adjust some
addresses) and does not require changes in DNS.

Once the migration is done we keep the old system for a couple of weeks
just in case and then remove the old VPS.

This way allows us to work with low pressure, during normal working hours,
and to have almost zero downtime.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Alvaro

 Stay safe / Cuídate/  Reste sécurisé
*7* Switch off as you go / Apaga lo que no usas /  Débranchez au fur et à
mesure.
 *q *Recycle always / Recicla siempre / Recyclez toujours
 P Print only if absolutely necessary / Imprime solo si es necesario /
Imprimez seulement si nécessaire