[Koha] Searching databases from the Koha Library Catalogue

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jul 23 13:41:36 NZST 2021

Hi Lizelle,

Thanks for reaching out.

That's a big question, and there are a lot of different answers, depending on your situation.

One option is to get your database vendor to supply you with MARC records that you can import into your Koha.

Depending on who provides your database content, they might provide a "discovery layer" that provides access to their database content (both EBSCO and Ovid do this), and then you can set up your Koha's OAI-PMH server to export MARC records, so that the database vendor can import your records into their search system. (There is also a Koha Plugin which lets you search EBSCO's EDS system from Koha itself.)

There are other more self-service "discovery layers" out there as well (like VuFind and Blacklight and Aspen Discovery) where you import the MARC records from Koha and those database providers.

Koha also has integrations with services like OverDrive which can show results in the search results itself.

Depending on your situation, there might be some other potential solutions too.

I hope that helps. Feel free to get in touch if you need more help.

Cheers,

David Cook
Senior Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems