[Koha] Auto renewal not working

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Thu Jan 21 01:17:49 NZDT 2021

Hi Jonathan

Today you wrote:

 > Yes it's now 3 but your original question was about having it
 > "(empty)" on the UI.
 > Empty in the DB should never generate a auto_too_late error.
 >
 > You get a auto_too_late error when: issue date + no_auto_renewal_after
 > lengthunit is < $now
 > So basically if:
 > issue date = 15 days ago
 > no_auto_renewal_after = 3
 > lengthunit = days
 > now = today
 > Then you get a auto_too_late today :)
 >
 > To fix your problem I would remove the no_auto_renewal_after rules (or
 > set them to an empty string in DB). Then run the script and you will
 > see your issues auto renewed without this auto_too_late error.

I have now checked in the not-autorenewed book.

Then I removed the no_auto_renewal_after rules in the staff client so
they look again as before - namely as follows in table "circulation_rules":

MariaDB [koha_hfs]> select * from circulation_rules;
+-----+------------+--------------+----------+----------------------------------+---------------+
| id  | branchcode | categorycode | itemtype | rule_name
         | rule_value    |
+-----+------------+--------------+----------+----------------------------------+---------------+
| 147 | NULL       | S            | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |
| 148 | NULL       | ST           | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |
| 149 | NULL       | T            | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |
| 150 | HFS        | S            | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |
| 151 | HFS        | ST           | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |
| 152 | HFS        | T            | NULL     | no_auto_renewal_after
         |               |

Then I checked the book out again and as expected table "issues" shows
the following:

MariaDB [koha_hfs]> select issue_id, borrowernumber, itemnumber,
date_due, auto_renew, auto_renew_error, renewals from issues where
itemnumber=38;
+----------+----------------+------------+---------------------+------------+------------------+----------+
| issue_id | borrowernumber | itemnumber | date_due            |
auto_renew | auto_renew_error | renewals |
+----------+----------------+------------+---------------------+------------+------------------+----------+
|      219 |              5 |         38 | 2021-02-17 23:59:00 |
   1 | NULL             |        0 |

Now I'm waiting until script "/etc/cron.daily/koha-common" will run
script "automatic_renewals.pl" tomorrow morning. I will observe this
again every day until I see the book is successfully renewed and wonder
if it will happen and when (because now the settings are the same as in
the beginning).

Thanks for your help for now!

Best wishes: Michael