[Koha] Migrating Koha Servers

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:47:22 NZDT 2021

Hello, all!

    In our latest exchange, on 18 Jan. 2021 at 20:33 [JST] I asked several
questions about migrating a Koha database from one server to another, to
wit:

> (1) How do you find out the password to MySQL?
>
> (2) Does it matter whether you are running MySQL or MariaDB?
>
> (3) Is "koha_library" a fixed phrase? Or is it the name of the Koha
> instance you are migrating, e.g., if your library is named ASDLIB, do you
> use "koha_library" or "ASDLIB"?
>
> (4) If you are running ElasticSearch, are there complications and if so,
> what are they and their solutions?
>
> (5) How does Zebra factor into all this?

    In a recent exchange, on 18 Jan. 2021 at 23:01 [JST], Aswin
Unnikrishnan <aswinunni01 at gmail.com> replied:

> Im also fairly new to koha so ill try to answer to the extent of my
> knowledge.
> 1. You can find all the details about your database if you check towards
> the end of the koha-conf.xml file that will be present at
> /etc/koha/sites/KOHA_INSTANCE/koha-conf.xml , where KOHA_INSTANCE is your
> koha instance name. details will be under <config> tag.
> 2. It doesn't matter if the database is mysql or mariadB. both are the
> same and you can use the same commands for both.
> 3. No . "koha_library" is used as an example. In most cases, you have to
> change "library" with your instance name. so if your instance name is
> "ASDLIB" it should be koha_ASDLIB
> 4,5. I'm not exactly sure about Elastic search, but  ElasticSearch and
> Zebra are 2 search engines that can be used with koha. ElasticSearch is
> fairly newer if I'm right, and still not incorporated into all parts of
> koha, and zebra is the default search engine that koha uses. So you need
> either ElasticSearch or Zebra, if you want to search for a book in your
> OPAC and get the results.

    In a recent exchange, on 18 Jan. 2021 at 23:01 [JST], Benjade Palmero <
benpal4ever at yahoo.com> replied and through the Koha User discussion group
on Facebook:

Just dump the Koha database from your old server through mysqldump then
> restore that sql file in your new server.

    I keep getting the error message 'Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'. I have sought remedy online
but alas, none has worked for me. The migration process has taken me all
weekend plus yesterday, and it has yielded no appreciable results. I have
little choice but to abandon this type of migration effort and import the
bibliographic .MRC file anew and reenter the rest anew unless something new
comes to light in the next few hours.

    By the way, this is not a reflection on Aswin Unnikrishnan or Benjade
Palmero.

    Koha ILS, v. 20.05
    Debian Stretch (v. 9.13)

    Thanks for your help anyhow

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.