[Koha] Importing Item Types from Excel Spreadsheet

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:35:37 NZDT 2021

Hi, all!

    It's been awhile since I initially wrote on this topic, so please
forgive me for this late response.

    In my original question, I asked whether it was possible to import the
item types (DVD for 'DVD', PDF for 'Portable Document Format', BK for
'Book', etc.) because my library is porting to a new computer (and I'm
trying to avoid reentering the list).

    In an exchange on Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:11, Vikram Zadgaonkar <
vikramczadgaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

You need to convert the file into .mrk.
> You may try marcedit tool for conversion.

     Sorry, but converting to .MRK or .MRC is not possible.

     In an exchange on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:22, Katrin Fischer <
katrin.fischer.83 at web.de> wrote:

The export is provided by the tools we use for presenting data in tables.
> Import is a different matter. For some data there are existing tool, but
> itemtypes can only be imported using SQL at the moment.

     Too bad.

     In an exchange on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:36, Michael Kuhn <
mik at adminkuhn.ch> wrote:

Maybe the content of file "sample_itemtypes.sql" (which imports some sample
> item types during the initial configuration of Koha) will be of some help
> to you when creating your own SQL file:
>
> INSERT INTO itemtypes (itemtype, description, rentalcharge, notforloan,
> imageurl, summary) VALUES

[etc., etc., etc.]

     Unfortunately, my SQL skills are weak -- it's been several years since
I last had to make SQL statements, and I would probably err badly and spend
a lot of time undoing my damage.

     I ended up reentering the item types after all. It took only an hour
or so.

     Thanks for your help, all. It was a gallant effort.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.