[Koha] Migrating authorities

Thomas Klausner domm at plix.at
Wed Apr 28 21:37:04 NZST 2021

Hi!

I'm currently working on a project for the "Steiermärkischen
Landesbibliothek" (Styria, Austria) where we are migrating a rather big
library into Koha.

Now we've hit a problem, and I doubt that we're the first to do so, so
I'd like to get some info on howtows/best-practice ...

Currently we get bibliographic data out of the old system in MARC21-XML.
This also contains various authorities e.g. authors that have a GND-ID.

When doing a simple MARC21 import these authors are not created as
autorities. But we would very much like them to be created as such :-)

Is there anything obvious we are missing?

Do we have to first import the autorities (stage-marc-import.pl seems to
have an option for that)? Will a later import of bibliograpic data then
create the correct links between biblio and authority?

Or could we somehow handle this during the import of biblio-data (e.g.
if MARC21 Field 100/0 is set, do a "find or create" on the value)?

Or do we have to write some custom scripts that extract the relevant
MARC21 data after the biblio import, and do the creation of authorities
etc by ourselves? Or is there a contributed script somewhere that does
that?

I found this rather old thread:
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Building-authority-records-after-data-migration-td5758845.html
which seems to indicate that there are no onboard Koha tools for such a
migration. But as this post is from 2013 I hope that in the meantime
this has changed?

Greetings,
Thomas Klausner

PS: If this topic is better suited to koha-dev, I'm happy to take the
discussion there...

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                             https://domm.plix.at