[Koha] Very high CPU usage

Mike Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Thu Apr 22 01:12:05 NZST 2021

Hi

Lately our library instance is peaking at 100% CPU usage. When I login
and use "htop" I can see the opac search and export is, every 30
seconds, starting and using 100% CPU for 15 seconds or so. It then stops
and 30 seconds later does it again. I'm averaging 80% CPU usage just
from this.

Logging in when the load is 100% I see:

root at asf3:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep opac
16412 ?        R      0:00 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/koha/opac/cgi-bin/opac/opac-export.pl

for several seconds and then

root at asf3:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep opac
19098 ?        R      0:02 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/koha/opac/cgi-bin/opac/opac-search.pl
19100 ?        R      0:01 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/koha/opac/cgi-bin/opac/opac-search.pl

This problem started a few weeks ago. I'm using a dedicated virtual
machine with 1 core and 2 GB RAM, 512 MB swap. The VM control panel
shows its averaging 800 MB used out of 2GB but swap is fully used.
This system had previously been adequate so something seems to have
changed.

What advice for narrowing down the problem? It's not a large
installation.
Any links to hardware/cpu/mem/swap requirements?

--
Mike Lake