[Koha] Cataloging Record Uploading Process Stalls -- Possible Solution

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 10:15:57 NZST 2021

Hi, all!

    About three months ago, my library moved its Koha ILS to a new server.
The transition was not ideal but it was smooth enough.

    We still catalog a bit on the old laptop and last week we extracted and
uploaded a bunch of records to the new server. The upload process stalled.

    After days of pulling out my hair -- and I'm bald -- in trying to find
out why the uploading process would stall, I noticed that the 952 subfiled
7 in a few records was miscoded as a 952 subfield 9 instead. Once I
reverted the 952 subfield 9 to 952 subfield 7, all was well.

    This also happened when a transfer record had a 999 field. If the
record number in 999 subfield c and 999 subfield d did not exist, the
uploading processing would stall. So I deleted the 999 fields or corrected
them to what was in the other copy of the ILS; and again all was well.

    I have been reading online about this phenomenon and I haven't found a
reason or solution to the stall. Mind you, other operations continue to
run: the editing of existing records and the entry of new records;
circulation; calendar changes, etc. It's just the automatic record
uploading that stalls.

    Well, here are two possible solutions: check for 952 subfield 9 fields
and 999 fields. They may be the source of stall. Their presence may not be
the only source, mind you, but their presence is a possibility.

    P. S. It would be nice if instead of stalling, the uploader would write
the MARC record to some sort of upload log with a reason; and then try
uploading the next record.

    Shall I file a feature request?

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.