[Koha] Zebra required if using Elasticsearch?

Bales (US), Tasha R tasha.r.bales at boeing.com
Thu Dec 17 10:01:21 NZDT 2020

Good afternoon,

I think the answer to the question in my subject is, "yes", but I'd like to check my understanding.  After installing Koha in a VM and reviewing various documentation, my understanding was that using Zebra or Elasticsearch was an either/or choice, you use one or the other.  However, the Elasticsearch entry on the wiki<https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Elasticsearch> suggests that eliminating Zebra dependency in favor of going full Elasticsearch is a work in progress.  Is this accurate?

I'm asking because I'm anticipate trouble getting access to download RHEL packages for Zebra<https://www.indexdata.com/resources/software/zebra/>.  I was hoping we could entirely avoid it and just use Elasticsearch.

Thanks for your time!!

Tasha R. Bales