[Koha] Taking patron images out of db into a directory

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 09:31:17 NZST 2020

El jue., 9 abr. 2020 a las 11:41, Mengu Yazicioglu (<mengu at devinim.com.tr>)
escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> We'd like to write a patch to move patron images out of db into a
> directory in the server.
>
> By this change, we'd like to satisfy following.
>
> 1. The size of database backup will be decreased, by this way one may
> store db backups more.

And they would take far less time to finish. Also, using incremental
backups would be possible.

> 2. Database performance will increase

Not sure about that. But the DB usually uses caching for the rows, and with
a limited space, so it *could* improve caching.

3. It will be possible to put patron images in different disk in the server

Yes, taking them out of the DB comes with this advantages.

4. Easily put images gathered from other systems like (university
> system, personnel system, etc)

It should definitely be using Koha::UploadedFIles. We really want to keep
the consistency between the DB and the images. Command-line utilities could
be developed to sync new batches, check nothing is missing, etc.

Good idea!

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (http://theke.io)