[Koha] Restricting access to files attached to bibliographic records

Myka Kennedy Stephens mkstephens at lancasterseminary.edu
Thu Oct 24 07:42:44 NZDT 2019

I think I have answered my own question -- or at least have found a
workable solution.

I created an analytic (child) record on the periodical item in question for
the article the professor wants to use in the course. To this record, I
attached the scan file (PDF) and verified that it works. I then used 942$n
to suppress the record in the OPAC. I verified that the PDF link still
works in a private browsing window, even though the record is suppressed in
the OPAC. I then shared the URL of the PDF file (stored in Koha) with the
professor to link in the course management system.

Unfortunately, I cannot link the record to course reserves. Course reserves
uses barcode and this adds the host item (the print periodical) to reserve
instead of the child record. I used a 590 local note to explain why the
record exists.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it at least allows us to maintain a
preservation copy and make it available for course reserve in a way that is
respectful of copyright and fair use.

I'm still curious to hear if anyone else has a solution or suggestion for
this type of scenario.

Thanks,
Myka

mkstephens at lancasterseminary.edu