[Koha] [EXTERNAL] Doubts cataloguing serial items

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Wed Mar 27 04:52:28 NZDT 2019

Hi, Rubeno--

Your questions are not silly at all--I'm sure there are always people with
the same questions who haven't asked them yet, and serials cataloging is
never simple!

Serials change periodicity, size, publisher, title, etc., all the time, and
only when a serial is very rare & unique do we usually take the time to
note as many of these changes as we can.  Usually we mention some of these
changes in the bibliographic record.  Since you ask many specific questions
about size and pagination, here are some options, but I'm happy to address
other changes, too, if you'd like!

Usually the pagination of specific issues and volumes can be ignored unless
the serial is very rare & unique.  Changes in size are very common.  So
usually these are usually addressed in a 300 field with a range, like this:
300 _ _ volumes : $b illustrations (some color) ; $c 29-37 cm
In the subfield c, the smallest height and the tallest height of all the
issues you have is noted.
If the issues are wider than they are taller, and then change in size, you
might have something like this:
300 _ _ volumes : $b illustrations (some color) ; $c 29 x 32 cm to 37 x 45
cm

Then in your item records, it doesn't really matter what size they are
unless they are shelved in different areas--your 952 $c might have these
locations.  And your 952 $h might then just note the volume/issue
numbering, e.g.:
952........$c Per $h v.1 no.4 (Apr. 1954) Annual review issue....
952........$c Per Oversize $h v.10 no.7 (July 1967)....

In our catalog, e.g.:
952........$c Stacks $h v.10 (1954)....
952........$c ff $h v.12 (1956).....

We put information in the 952 $z (public note) that might be useful in this
case such as, "Poor condition."

With serials, and their frequent changes, I think it is important to
balance how much time you spend on accounting for the changes in your
catalog records with how much cataloging & data entry you have to
do--putting in enough detail is important for identifying and finding the
right serial, but you can easily spend lots of time trying to track every
little change, and then never get the next serial done...:)

Hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Library catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/