[Koha] Doubts cataloguing serial items

Rubén Fernández Asensio enseikou at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 10:35:25 NZDT 2019

Hello all,

Could you share some experiences with a newbie and amateur librarian
like me?
I've started cataloguing old serials for my library. Many of them are
very old or have had a long life, so there are many variations of
periodicity, size, publisher, title...
I've created biblio records and now I'm creating items for each
volume/number/issue in our collection, and I was wondering whether it's
possible to add subfields to 956 to note each volume's size and page
number. What would be the best approach? Does any of you do this? What
do you recommend? What are your practices when cataloguing old serial
items? What kind of information you put, and in which subfields?

So far my MARC framework is taking advantage of 952$h mapped to
items.enumchron, and I wonder whether it's possible to create an adhoc
subfield and map it to biblioitems.pages, but won't that conflict with
300$a? Same about mapping another 952 subfield to biblioitems.size,
which is used by 300$c. Or else should I just make 952$z repeatable?

Maybe my questions are silly, but I know nothing about databases and
don't understand the inner workings of Koha. The official documentation
is not very clear on the function of SQL tables like items.materials,
items.copynumber, biblio.serial, biblioitems.volumedate...

Rubeno Fernandez