[Koha] Circulation rule by location

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Jun 27 09:59:45 NZST 2019

On 2019-06-26 4:33 p.m., Coehoorn, Joel wrote:
> This seems like a major weakness.

Maybe more a "special case" rather than "major weakness" ... so ...

> For just one example that is likely common, let's a book, or older issues
> of a periodical move from the normal part of the library to an "Archives"
> location that is more dense, and maybe climate controlled for preservation.

Maybe it's "common" -- we certainly deal with exactly this type of
situation, and use MARC21 952$7 (somewhat successfully for us, maybe not
exactly your challenge?)

However, if that doesn't meet your needs, and as Katrin said: "library
... item types only. Locations cannot be used" So there are a couple of
potential solutions:

     - You could have a "library" -- you might want to call
"climate_controlled_holdings" (we call it "rare book room") where the
rules can be a tad different

     - "item types" could be an option. When you transfer a periodical
to your new holding area, just call it a "protected periodical" instead
of "periodical" at the same time as giving it a new location code/name.

Best -- Paul