[Koha] Z3950 search results

George gwilliams at nekls.org
Sat Jul 13 03:22:14 NZST 2019

Owen,

I don't know that popping out the Z39.50 window is necessary for me for
new cataloging, but if I'm updating an existing record I find it helpful
to be able to have the Z39.50 marc preview data in the pop-up window so
I can look at the existing record in the regular window and examine both
the original and the potential replacement side-by-side.

As far as window size goes, I had several catalogers complain that the
pop-up was too small a couple of years ago, so I wrote some jQuery to
set a new default height and width but it set those by pixel count.
Shortly thereafter I had some other catalogers complain that the pop-up
was too big for their screens because they have their screen resolution
set very low to accommodate their eyesight.  We actually have one
librarian with a very large screen that's been set to 800x600 because of
vision problems and the original jQuery (which looked great on most
screens) pushed the edges of the pop-up off beyond the margins of her
monitor unless it loaded at the extreme upper left corner of the
monitor.  Sometime last year I re-wrote that jQuery so it sizes the
pop-up based on the user's screen resolution and also pushes the window
to the upper left corner of the screen.  When I saw this e-mail thread I
realized that I had never added that jQuery to the library on the wiki,
so I just did that.  It's at
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/JQuery_Library#Reize_Z39.50_pop-up_window_when_loaded
if anyone following this conversation is interested.

See you all later,

George

--
George Williams