[Koha] Branches limitations for locations

Joy Nelson joy at bywatersolutions.com
Thu Dec 20 08:07:16 NZDT 2018

I remember this feature from 3.12 (bugzilla 7919).  We've had libraries
that have run into the same issue you have Sonia.  Generally we suggest
that they add their branch (MAIN branch) to the branch limitations for all
authorised values so that they can then see those values when cataloging.
Conversely, we've had larger consortiums that set up a Technical Services
branch that the catalogers are assigned to and that branch is then added to
the list of the authorised values branch limitations.

While both of those are 'free' workarounds for the library, I can see room
for improvement in this area.  I talked to our educators and developers and
thought these might make two great options to enhance this functionaliy.

1. Paul's idea to make the authorised value dropdowns change dynamically is
nice.  Kyle mentioned this could be done with some javascript and an API

2. Our educators thought perhaps we should add a permission to the
cataloging area that is something like "view and choose all authorized
values".  So catalogers would have this particular option selected and all
values would appear in the list for selection when creating items.

-joy