[Koha] Should XSLT add punctuation?

Teresa Preston Teresa.Preston at parliament.govt.nz
Mon Aug 27 09:39:21 NZST 2018

Hi
Is anyone else watching the PCC trial of removing ISBD punctuation? It started in February. I've copied a brief excerpt from the announcement below. The full announcement is available on the PPC website http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/ We copy-catalogue as much as possible and make our Koha as Marc21 compliant as we can so are watching to see what happens. Perhaps the issue of how Koha handles ISBD punctuation is something to consider for long term development?
Teresa

Teresa Preston
Acting Research Resources Manager
Parliamentary Service Te Ratonga Whare Pāremata
Private Bag 18041, Wellington 6160, New Zealand
www.parliament.nz

Testing Use of Limited ISBD Punctuation in Bibliographic Records February 6, 2018 The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), OCLC, and SkyRiver will begin testing a possible transition to using limited ISBD punctuation in MARC 21 bibliographic records.  The test period will run through July 1, 2018, followed by an evaluation period that will culminate in a decision on whether to move forward.
Rationale:
Creating MARC 21 records without punctuation that duplicates MARC 21 coding is expected to save time for catalogers, make it easier to map data to and from other formats, and allow for an easier transition to linked data. Creating records with limited ISBD punctuation simplifies data entry and allows catalogers to focus solely on coding to better identify parts of the bibliographic description. OCLC analysis of changes that catalogers make to existing bibliographic data indicates that edits to ISBD punctuation and associated spacing have little to no impact on retrieval and use.  In addition, this change would allow for flexibility in the design of online displays without the need for suppressing punctuation.
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions<https://goo.gl/rcpCx2>   for additional information about the test.